Friday, July 9, 2010

Reviving the Dream

I first had the desire to do a triathlon back in 2003. In fact, that is when I first heard about sprint triathlons! I had a new friend who was also my spin instructor who was doing a sprint tri.

I started running on a treadmill, doing spin classes (with my friend as instructor), and took semi-private swim lessons with a friend (from spin class) for 8 weeks. I ended up doing two 5Ks with my brother, but I had never even tried running outside. I had times of 49 mins and 46.5 mins.

"Life" got in the way. So, I gave up my dream.

About 6 weeks ago my sil came to visit. She had started running and lost a lot of weight. I was impressed! And, she was going on a 25 mile bike ride the following weekend. It really inspired me.

I started by dieting about 5.5 weeks ago... and then I started the C25K program a few days later. I have a pool and started swimming laps and I realized I could train for a tri! I went on my first bike ride (in over 2 decades!) a week or 2 later while visiting my sil. We did 2 rides in the foothills of an incredible mountain: 4 miles and 7.4 miles.

So, here I am! I have signed up for three 5Ks. I expect to walk a lot of the first two (in Aug & Sept), but run most/all of the third (Oct). I also found a sprint tri near my moms that has the swim in a community center we actually go to. So, that's my goal and it is in late April.

My current training schedule:

run 3x per week (C25K - I'm going slowly and currently on Week 3, but plan on moving up to Week 4 after one more run tomorrow)

swim 3x per week (30 mins with group at neighborhood pool - I swim 500+ yards)

weight train 2x per week (1 with personal trainer/1 according to the plan he writes for me)

misc - some Wii, some videos, some other cardio machines, and hopefully some group classes since we just joined the Y

I'd like to start cycling (on stationary bike or spinning) 2x per week, but we'll see! I don't plan on actually starting on my bike (which I don't have yet) until January.

So, that's the beginning of my story! I am determined. I WILL TRI!

No comments:

Post a Comment