Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Books to Tri

I've been reading books about triathlons the past few weeks, and thought I'd share a little about them.

The first one I read was "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel. This is a great beginner's book that I'll be reading again as my tri gets closer. He discusses nutrition, support, and how to safely train in all 3 disciplines. It also has different plans for different people - for example, if you come from a running background or a background in none of the 3 sports (like me!). It also talks you through your first triathlon and how to prepare and what to expect. (My first tri isn't scheduled until April, so I have a lot of time!)

The second book I read was "Slow Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams. The best piece of advice I came away with from this book was that you shouldn't worry about how you look! Here's a quote: "Absolutely nothing good ever comes of worrying what other people think of you when you're doing something that you want to do, that's fun and legal, and that's actually good for you." I also really enjoyed reading her journal entries from after various events. Although I got some good information from this book, I was really turned off by her language. I probably wouldn't have bought her 2nd book (because of the language) if I hadn't bought them both at the same time.

The third book is a book I borrowed from the library and finished today. I plan on buying this one! It is called "Triathlon 101: Essentials for Multisport Success" by John Mora. This is a great book that discusses tris from many angles. The book is divided into the following sections: "getting ready to tri", "traithlon training basics", and "tri-ing your best." The book is filled with lots of great information for someone new to the sport!
The fourth, and last, book I've been reading is "Shape Up with the Slow Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams. As I mentioined in her other book, I'm really disappointed (and bothered) by her language. UPDATE: I read a few more minutes of this book and just had to put it down. I will NOT be reading this book. The language is just unacceptable to me. I would not recommend this book.

Do you have a favorite tri book? Or a book about swimming, running, or cycling? I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment