Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sprint Triathlon...Am I Crazy???

So, I've finished Week 1 of my Couch to 5K training. Yeah! And, I've scheduled two 5Ks. I'll be doing one on September 11th (probably more walk/run) and one on October 2nd (try to run this one).

About 5 years ago I started training for a Sprint Triathalon. I was jogging on a treadmill (not very well or very long), doing spinning classes twice a week, and I took semi-private swim lessons for 6 weeks or so. Anyway, life interferred and I had to stop.

Now, I really want to do a sprint (or mini) triathalon! I found one where my mom lives that takes place on April 24th. That gives me almost 10 months to train! I think I can do it, but I'm really scared to even "announce" this to anyone. Right now, I couldn't complete any of the 3 events. (Oh... and I love that this one has the swimming indoors!) How will I find the time to train for all 3 events? Will I even be able to do all 3 events?

Here's my plan:

running - I will continue with my training. I will redo week 1 so my new buddy can catch up. Plus, we have the time and I don't know if I'm ready to go on yet. I will run MWF.

cycling - I am headed on vacation next week and my sister-in-law is going to go riding witih me. I haven't been on a bike in 20+ years! So, this will show me if I can ride and if I like it. I plan on buying a bike when I get back.

swimming - I started tonight by swimming 10 back & forth laps in our pool. It took my 9 minutes to go about 250 yards. The swim will only be 275 yards. So, I know I can do it eventually, but tonight I was stopping after every 12.5 yards. emoticon I plan on signing up for some kind of classes when I return from our trip.

So, can I do this? Is this just a beginner's enthusiasm? I'm not sure!!!! And, should I sign up for a few more things before the sprint triathalon... like a bike ride? And, how do I go about finding a local training group? or a trainer? I'm in a big city, but it'd have to be early in the morning or on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment