Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Learning to Like a Treadmill

With school back in session and the sun coming up later each morning, I haven't been able to run outside on the weekdays. So, I am now running on a treadmill (aka dreadmill) every Tuesday. I really haven't been enjoying it much... until today!

I decided to work a little on speed today. So, I warmed up for 5 minutes and then decided to start at about 15 min 30 sec miles and run for 90 seconds. Then, I would walk for 90 seconds then run at the next faster pace.

Well, I did this for several 'levels' and then hit 14 min 17 secs. I was so happy when I completed the 90 seconds and knew I could keep going. So, I went for 4 minutes!

Then I decided this was a nice pace so I let my HR get back down while walking and then started running with a plan of doing another 4 minutes at 14 min 17 secs. At 4 mins, I still felt great and decided I wanted to complete a half a mile at this pace. So, I RAN A HALF MILE AT A 14 MIN 17 SEC mile/min pace! I was thrilled! My usual pace, when I run 3 miles, is only 15 mins 30 secs. And my pace at the 5K this weekend was right at 15 mins. Playing on the treadmill can be fun!

So, my goal next week is to do this again... only I HOPE to run 7 mins 3 times! So, I'll have completed 1.5 miles at a 14 min 17 sec pace. I do know this will be a mental challenge. I've discovered that some of my best runs - when I feel I've accomplished the most - are when I've went above & beyond what I set out to do. For example, if I would have went with the goal of running 7 mins at this pace today, I know I would have thought "I can't do this!" and probably I would NOT have done it. Or, the first time I ran 3 miles, I actually kind of got 'lost' and didn't know I was going that far! Or, again, I probably wouldn't have chosen that route!

I'm glad I found out the treadmill can be fun and I'm looking forward to running on it. It's great to mix my time outdoors & indoors while running!

No comments:

Post a Comment