Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Half Marathon Will Wait

I was so excited last night as I talked with my sister-in-law about the possibility of my running a half marathon with her in 2 months. But, I spent a long, sleepless night... and decided that pushing for a half marathon that quickly would not be in my best interest.

I have read on a lot of sites that you shouldn't run that far until you've been running a year. I don't think I'll wait that long, but I've only been running 3 1/2 months! And, before that I was just sitting... not exercising at all... and I've NEVER been a runner. I'm afraid if I push that hard and fast, I'll get hurt.

We discussed switching states - to near me where I can do a 10K and she can do the half. But, that would involve 'the family' flying down here and getting a hotel for a couple of nights. And, the half and the 10K are actually on different days! So, we've decided that won't work.

So, I've decided to stick with our original plan. I'll be running a 5K in Tulsa while she runs her first Half. I am going to go ahead and start pushing for longer distances, which I'd planned on anyway. My longest run so far is 3.5 miles. This weekend, I plan on running 4 miles. I won't be at the lake house, so my choices are round & round at the park (not very fun, and I too often give up!) or on the streets of my neighborhood (which is more likely, but on cement). Then, I have two 5Ks coming up in the next 3 weeks. So, I'll keep busy running!

I would like to find a 10K to start training for, but haven't found one yet. Then, I'd like to find a half marathon to run - probably in Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas where I have family. I'm looking at March or April, possibly earlier. I was wanting to do a triathlon in April, but I don't know if I'll find the time to train in all 3 sports. In fact, I just found out my husband will be leaving very early on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend, so I don't know when I'll be able to run my 4 miles THIS weekend... but I'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment