Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Shoes (& Legs!) Logged 5 Miles Today

What a day! I ran 3.1 miles on the treadmill. I've never run that far on a treadmill. (I much prefer outdoors!) Anyway, I was a little frustrated that I had a 'goal' in mind and I wasn't getting there. I wanted to run a mile at a 14 min 17 sec pace like I did last week. Well, I'd run for a few minutes, and just 'have to' stop. I did this several times and it wasn't working for me.

So, then I decided to just keep going until I hit 2 miles. I would run some and walk some. I'd play with the speed.

A funny thing happened - it was actually pretty frustrating. I accidentally hit the "STOP" button on the treadmill! I kept pushing buttons, but couldn't get it to restart. So, I had to start back from "0" minutes. At least I had my HRM timer going AND I noted how far I'd already walked/ran.

I started up again and was getting near 2 miles. I decided I wanted to try ONE MORE TIME to run a mile. Maybe if I run faster I can do it? Then I don't have to run for 14+ minutes. Hmmm... So, I started running at a pace of 13 mins 57 secs. Could I possibly run a mile in under 14 minutes??? YES! I DID IT!

So, my total was 3.1 miles of running and walking. I did it in 47 minutes, which is really close to my 5K race 2 weeks ago of 46 mins 30 secs!

When we got home, my daughter was begging to go out riding on her new bike again. So, since I don't have a bike, I was 'forced' to walk/run again! We found a quiet street and I did some speed work! I was feelinig terrific! I even got my HR up to 195! We ended up going 1.9 miles. So, for the day, I totalled a little over 5 miles on my feet. And... I ended up burning over 600 calories. Wow!!!

I think I'm doing great on my way to my half marathon. I also have a 5K THIS weekend! I'm going to try to run on Thursday, too, and get my weekly mileage up near 10 miles. I've been averaging about 8 miles per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment