Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Running is SO Mental!

So, it is now dark when I need to get up and run and I'm struggling with what to do. I enjoy running in the neighborhood and get to sleep in a little later since I don't have to drive anywhere, but I feel safer running at our park where there are a few dozen people. So, this morning I headed to the park a little after 6.

One thing I like about the park is that the trail is marked off in quarter miles. However, the past few times I've ran there, I keep checking my watch and trying to set 'personal records.' This causes me to run too fast and be worn out before I'm done. Drats!

So, today I was supposed to run for 30 minutes. A few weeks ago, I ran a mile here in 17 mins 40 secs. Last week, I ran a mile in 16 mins 30 secs. Well, today I ran a mile in 15 mins 30 secs!!! I was so proud of myself! But, I was also really tired and had to start walking.

I tried to start running two more times, but could only run a few minutes each time. I ended up only running/walking for 30 mins total, including my warmup & cooldown. I went a little over 1.75 miles.

So, somehow I have to stop trying to go so fast! I really can't leave my watch at home as I have to be back for hubby to go to work.

The other "mental" part of this is that I can see the entire 1 1/4 run and it looks SO LONG!!! When I'm running in neighborhoods, I only see a portion at a time and it seems easier. Plus, I get out there and HAVE to finish running (or walking) to get home. Here, I can just cut across the parking lot - which I did today! So, along with being thrilled with my 15 min 30 sec mile (which I am thrilled!) I'm disappointed that I didn't run for 30 mins today.

No comments:

Post a Comment