Monday, July 25, 2011

Where do I go from here?

I had another great run today. That's 6 in a row!!! Wow!!!

I decided to kind of 'repeat' my great run on the beach from Friday. If you'll remember, I did a mile in 9:43...an incredible time for me! Then, we did some high knees, running backwards, and 15-20 second sprints.

So, I was eager to see if I could run 1 mile in under 10 minutes on my own. I couldn't run until 8 am and it was HOT & sunny. I guess the temperature was 83 or so. (It was 85 at 9 am.) So, I decided to give myself a little bit of a break.

I warmed up for about 2/3rds of a mile and then set off on my run. Well, the first half was GREAT! I was averaging about 9:45! But, after that, it got harder & harder. I wanted to give up several times. It was HARD to keep running for an entire mile. But, I did it...I ran the entire mile! And, I did it pretty well. 10:15. So, no, I didn't break 10 minutes, but I know I CAN...and I WILL again...though maybe when it's cooler!

After that, I sat my watch to run 20 second sprints followed by 2 minute walking breaks. I hadn't used my watch last time so I don't know how fast I was going.

First of all, I think we were only running about 10-15 second sprints on the beach. This seemed like quite a bit longer! And, my quads felt it immediately! I was actually sore for 3 days (up until yesterday!) from my sprint workout last time. But, I felt like I was running FAST!

In fact...on one of my 20 second runs, I felt like I was FLYING! My legs seemed to barely be touching the ground. I felt so FAST! It was amazing!!!

After the 5 sprints, I checked out my speed. Here's what I saw:
6:24 (what??? that's FAST!)
6:20 (& faster!)
5:45 (WooHoo!!!)
5:30 (Me???!!! Going 5:30 for even 20 seconds! Wow!)
6:07 (OK...slowing down a bit, but wow!!)

I was amazed...and thrilled! And, my fastest time period...4:46!!! WOW!!!

I'm just not sure what's going on here! I am feeling so much faster! And, if I can run these kinds of paces for 20 seconds...what could I do in 30 seconds? or a minute? I was thrilled 2 weeks ago when my 2 minute pace got near a 10 minute pace. What am I capable of???

So, I'm not sure where I go from here. As far as the miles, once I've ran one mile near 10 minutes, I can NOT run another mile. I've thought about slowly increasing it and running 1.1 miles... then 1.2...etc. Or, I could try to run .5 miles 3 times...then 4 (with 2 minute breaks).

As far as sprints, do I continue to do 20 second sprints sometimes and 2 miinute sprints at others? Or see if I can keep up that 'fast' pace for 30 seconds...or 40? I feel like I need a coach to lead me right now.

I also just read Bart Yasso's book about his Yasso 800s. My fastest 20 second run hit 322 yards. So, I might be able to do an 800 in under a minute??? You're supposed to work up to 8 of these 800's (I think). Should I start working on 800 yard sprints instead of time? UPDATE: THOSE ARE FEET ON MY GARMIN, NOT YARDS!!! (Oops!)

So many questions! I'm really excited to see myself developing as a runner. I can't wait until fall when I can run some 5Ks. September 11th I'll re-run my first 5K...which I did in 46:30. What will I be able to do it in? And, how will I accomplish it?

I'm just having a lot of fun! I hope you are, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment