Friday, July 15, 2011

My Goals & Upcoming Races (as shared with perspective running coach)

I contacted a possible running coach today. She told me to send her a detailed email about my goals. This is what I sent her...

Thanks for the phone call! I did have a little trouble with our phone connection, so please forgive me if I ask something you covered!

As I mentioned, my paces are pretty 'slow'. I record all of my training on beginnertriathlete, though I'm behind as we've been on 2 vacations this month. Anyway, my long pace is slower than I thought...the last three 8 milers have been at a 12:41, 13:08, and 13:08 pace. I practically always have negative splits. My fastest mile ever was 9:43 and I've had only a few others below 11:00, though all in the past month.

My main goal, at this point, is to get FASTER. I've proven to myself that I can do a half marathon, though I did a run/walk last November (2:57 time). I now run instead of run/walk. Now I want to get faster so I can eventually do a marathon and it would be under 5 hrs!

I also have a goal of getting my 5K under 33 minutes, to start, and then under 30 minutes. My current 5K PR is 36:45 which I ran during the CB&I sprint tri.

My upcoming races:
Sep 11 - local highschool 5K - last year I did this in 46:30 and I want at least 10 minutes off...preferrably under 33 minutes! I recently did a 2 miler in under 22 minutes

Oct 1 - Komen 5K (another repeat from last year) Just want to run this again as my grandmother and grandmother-in-law both had breast cancer

Oct 8 - Ten for Texas (10 miler)

Nov 13 - San Antonio RnR HM - practice race

Dec 4 - Vegas RnR HM - again, this is mainly for fun & vacation with hubby & to qualify for Half Maniacs!

Jan 15 - Houston HM - I would LOVE to break 2:30!!!

As I mentioned, I've been with trainers most of the past year, but quit after the CB&I sprint triathlon. Both trainers were mainly for strength training once per week, though one of them added quite a bit of cardio, too.

So, what do I want?

1. To get faster. Yes, I'd like it very detailed. I'm very good at pushing myself to meet a goal - especially someone else's expectations. I'm not sure I'm pushing myself enough sometimes. I ran with my sister-in-law last month and asked her to help me beat my fastest mile of 11:30. I thought maybe I could run 11:07. She told me I could break 10:00. I did a 9:43. I had WAY underestimated my abilities!

2. To get ready for my various runs. My "A" races are the highschool 5K on Sept 11th and the Houston HM on Jan 15th.

3. To get stronger (strength trianing/pilates) and prevent injuries.

4. To continue to bike & swim to prepare for triathlons next spring/summer and possibly the MS150 (2 day, 180 mile bike ride).

5. To be in great shape so I can enjoy other sports & activities! (For example, I just learned to waterski, at age 41, 2 weeks ago!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment