Friday, July 15, 2011

My Plans & Fears

Here's an email I sent my sister-in-law today. She's now scheduled to run her first marathon in less than 90 days. She's also starting to consider an IronMan triathlon and sent me a link to a blog about 4 moms training for an IM in 2012.

Wow! I read the entire blog...pretty impressive. As far as triathlons...for me, the swimming is just plain HARD! I was fine in the pool. It gets kind of relaxing and it's so quiet when you practice. But, I do find it more 'boring' than running & swimming. And, when I did my OWS (open water swim) practice & the real tri in the lake, yikes! It is downright SCARY! I felt like I could drown, and I've never had that kind of panic before.

I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it. People actually practice OWS with others close beside you - even knocking into you on purpose. At this point, I can kind of imagine running for 26.2 miles or biking for 112, but I can NOT imagine swimming one inch farther than I already did!

Yes, I'm scared to do it again! So, my friend who has done sprint tris says I need to get back there and do it again. But, at this point, I'm saying 'why'? I don't care if I ever swim again...at least at this point in time.

I know one of the ladies on the blog said she could only doggy paddle when she started in '08, I believe. Maybe I just need to train with a real group. I'm undecided as to what I'm doing beyond the 3 half marathons I have planned for Nov-Jan. I was going to then train for the MS150 (180 miles in 2 days) in April, but I try to do most of my training on 'my' time instead of family time. But, there's just no way around it when training for those kinds of distances...I'd have to do long rides on Sats &/or Suns for about 10 weeks. So I'm undecided.

If I don't start training for MS150, I will probably join a group and start trianing for some more tris in the spring/summer. But, I'd just HAVE TO be more comfortable in the water before I do another tri with an OWS.

Oh, and I ran this morning. First time ever that I didn't eat or drink before hand - plus I didn't bring any water. Well, I paid for it! After 1st mile, I got really dizzy & lightheaded...felt faint. It happened again after 2nd mile. So, I just ended up walking the 3rd mile. Felt much better after about 5 mins, some water & a banana. Lesson learned!

Have a great day! I still plan on doing some ST or pilates today, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment