Monday, May 16, 2011

Getting FASTER!

Yes, I'm wanting to 'get faster' in my runs. But, this about withIN a long run. I just seem to start out slow and then get faster! I guess a few times I've started out too fast, but usually I tend to get faster & faster.

Here's an example: yesterday was my long, 8.5 mile run.

Here are my 3 slowest miles:
mile 1 - 13:31
mile 2 - 13:27
mile 3 - 13:01

Here are my 3 fastest miles:
mile 7 - 12:21
mile 8 - 12:05
mile 8.5 - 11:29!

My average pace was 12:41. But, if I just averaged the 2nd half of my run, the average would be closer to 12:16! I need to figure out how to get warmed up faster... I think.

Any thoughts?

And, today I went out for a recovery run. I wanted to take it easy and not worry about time. I ignored my watch so much that I forgot to hit start for the first .8 miles! Anyway, I again felt better & better & went faster & faster. Those .8 miles I was going at about a 13:30 pace. Then, my 1st recorded mile was 12:38. And, the last .6 miles were at an 11:38 pace. I was even down near 11:00 at the end!

I do know this means I need to warm up... ESPECIALLY before a 5K. But, what else should I learn from this?

No comments:

Post a Comment