Friday, October 1, 2010

Learning to Run My Own Race

I  picked up my bike tonight. Yes! It took almost 2 hours as I also needed a helmet and some other equipment. We didn't get home until late, so I'll be riding it tomorrow!

I also am very nervous about my 5K tomorrow. It is further away then the others I've ran. I'll need to leave the house by 6 am. And, I need to find parking, find the line up area, the bathrooms, etc. I know I'll be fine, but I wish I had someone to ride with!

I've been thinking a lot about speed and I've been asking a lot of questions. So, as I head into tomorrow's race, I thought I'd leave you with a comment I just left on a blog.

Thanks for your comment on my blog about speed, age, etc. Yes, I have gotten a lot faster. My first timed mileage was at a 17 min 30 sec pace. I ran one mile this week in 13 mins 57 secs. So, that's quite an improvement in about 6-7 weeks!

I guess I have been comparing myself to others. I don't even know their ages or background, but I see we started C25K at about the same time and they are so much faster!

I guess I was also disappointed on my first 5K to be 'so slow' instead of just enjoying it. I was running, but the walkers were beating me. I have another 5K tomorrow and I don't want that same experience. Maybe I should have not signed up for 5Ks until I was more comfortable... or faster!

Anyway, you are right and I need to just relax and not be so competitive. I am setting new PRs almost every run - in one way or the other (distance, time, etc). It's amazing! And, I shouldn't keep feeling like it isn't enough.

I have a 5K tomorrow and I'm going to try to just 'sit back' (well,run!) and enjoy it... no matter what the outcome. Whether I beat my last time or not. Whether I'm running with walkers or runners. I'm running to have fun and to get in shape, so I need to not worry about comparing myself to the other runners!

(Countdown to Half Marathon: 175 days)
(Today's Workout: REST day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment