Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Interval Running & Pilates

I REALLY doubted my ability to do the interval run my coach assigned me for today. I was to warmup for a mile then do an 11:00 pace for 2 mins followed by an 10:00 pace for 2 mins. I was to repeat this 6 times. Then, finish up 'easy' for a total of 4 miles. For the middle part, that would be averaging 10:30 miles for over 2 miles. My fastest 2 miler averaged almost 10:50! But, that was outside AND on hills. Still, this seemed REALLY agressive to me...and scary! But, I DID IT! YEAH!

I did walk the 1st minute, but completed the first mile in 13:00. Then, I ran the 11:00 & 10:00 for 2 mins each, 6 times. This was a HUGE mental challenge! In fact, I kept telling myself I only needed to do 3 sets, then I could walk. Then, of course, I told myself "just one more set & you can walk!" And, again...until I finished!

I actually set the treadmill at 5.5 & 6.0, so the 5.5 was a little different...I don't remember the exact number. Since that had me running for 24 mins at a 10:30 average, I actually ran closer to 2.3 miles at that pace! WOW!! If I could do my 5K at a 10:30 pace, that'd be quite a bit faster than my 'dream' pace!!! (My 'regular' goal is to hit 35 minutes and my 'dream' goal is 33!)

I walked for 1 minute after the 6 intervals, then finished up my last mile...about .7 miles. I started at about 13:00 and bumped it up a click faster at each 1/10th of a mile! Afterwards, I walked for about 3 minutes and did a long stretching session.

For the first 3.1 miles, my time was 34:50. That beats my 'old' 5K PR from last week of 36:23!!! (But, I did hang on to the treadmill probably a dozen times...never more than 10 seconds and usually only for a few.) The total 4 miles was at 45:55, which is a 11:29 pace! I'm thrilled!

I showered, got to read for about an hour while waiting for my daughter's camp to be out, ran by McDonald's and got an oatmeal, then headed to my coach's house for pilates reformer! This is my 3rd session, and we did a lot of new things! I'm really enjoying these sessions. And, my dd tried it out, too!

My coach has down 'swimming' for tomorrow, but I'm debating on that. In fact, I sent her an email asking if it was OK to do a different workout. I know it is important to rest my legs some. I have another 'big', scary run on Thursday! But, there are several classes at the & that I'd love to try...I could do a level 2 step class (love step, but I know it isn't resting my lets), "bodycombat" (martial arts, cardio-intervals), "bodyjam" (a dance type class), or "absolutely yoga" (but, I'm unsure about yoga). These would all be new to me! And, I love trying out new classes. I could also do the elliptical or something, but I prefer a group class.

I'm waiting to hear back from my coach, and will swim if she thinks that's best. I'm hoping to be cleared to try the Step or something else, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment