Friday, August 19, 2011

21 mph!!! & Yoga...Not for me!

I  really struggled with what workout(s) to do today. Since my daughter is now in school, I have lots of free/me time! And, there are so many classes at the gym(s) that I want to do. Today there were so many 'fun' things to choose from! But, I had to remember I have a 7 mile run tomorrow, so I needed to be careful what workout(s) I chose.

I chose to do two. The first was a bike ride. I ended up riding 10 miles. And, I kept my pace at between 15-16 mph (except for the warmup). That's GREAT speed for me!!!

The best part, though, was this little straight-way that I usually love to run. I RODE it this time. And, it's about 1/4 mile without any stop signs or anything. So, if you go back & forth, you get a good 1/2 mile ride (or run) with on the turn around to slow you down. Well, the first time, I decided to push myself and see how fast I could ride it. 19 mph...whew! I ended up riding this road 3 times, and by the last time I got my bike up to 21 MPH!!! WooHoo!!! Besides going down a hill, I'm pretty sure this is the fastest I've ever rode. I'm excited!

Later in the day, I tried a "mat science" class which is a combination of yoga & pilates. I tried this about 6 months ago but at a 5:45 am class. That one tended to be mainly pilates. This one, I think, was mainly yoga. Well, I didn't like it...at ALL!

First of all, I applaud those of you who do yoga. It is TOUGH! I just couldn't even begin to keep up with the others. But, also, I have 2 problems...1) I'm very inflexible 2)I have a ganglion on the palm near the wrist of one of my hands.

So, we were doing a 'downward dog' and the teacher said everyone should put their heels on the ground. Well, mine are probably 3 inches UP in the air! Really, my ankles do not bend much more than 90 degrees. So, the teacher comes and speaks directly to me and tells me to get my heels down. She pushes me down several times...it doesn't help! My ankles just don't bend!

And, we spent a LOT of time on our hands...doing planks, downward dogs, and all kinds of things. Well, besides not having the strength to do this, it was KILLING my ganglion. Ouch!!!

Lastly, I knew this was one powerful workout...and that I'd pay for it on tomorrow's run. So, I 'snuck out' the best I could after about 30 minutes. And, no, I will NOT be trying yoga again. Well, at least not anytime soon! I much prefer my pilates reformer!

I have a 7 mile run in the morning! My hubby is out of town so I've actually hired a neighbor to come over and 'sit' while my daughter sleeps. I plan on running from 6:30-8:00 ish. Whew! At least it won't be THAT hot out yet! We've now had 18 days with above 100 degrees!!! We set a new record several days ago. And, it doesn't look like we'll get relief anytime soon. Oh, well. My body is pretty much used to it...at least early in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment